Bare Root Plants – winter dormant
- Make sure roots are kept wet until ready for planting.
- Dig a planting hole twice as wide as roots and combine well-rotted compost.
- Create a small mound in planting hole for roots to sit on.
- Position plant so that the main stem or graft is approx. 25mm above soil.
- Backfill with soil, combining some slow release fertiliser.
- Water well via deep soaking.
- Trim back half the stem length (see diagram).
Container Plants – any time of the year
- Dig a hole larger than pot and combineslow release fertiliser to base of hole.
- Remove well-watered plant from pot without disturbing roots.
- Place into hole and gently backfill with soil. Water in well via deep soaking.
- Trim back stems by half if during winter dormancy time.